Questions? We've Got Answers!
A new roof. The thought can be daunting in itself. Even if you’re not 100% certain if you need a roof replacement at the moment, you still probably have a lot of questions regarding the whole process and what you can expect. We’ve put together a list of five frequently asked questions about roof replacements. When it’s time for a new roof, these are the things you need to know.
1. When is it time for a new roof?
While there can be specific warning signs that can be a cause for concern, there are some general guidelines that can help you determine if it is time for a new roof.
- What type of roof system does your home have (i.e. shingle, tile, metal)? A shingle roof will have a shorter lifespan than that of a tile or metal roof. However, other roofing materials are not immune to the elements or age and can need replacing as well.
- What is the age of your roof (i.e. when was the last time it was replaced)? Each type of roofing material- whether it be shingle, tile, or metal- has an expected lifespan. This is why it is important to take into account both the type of roof, as well as the age of your roof.
- Did your roof experience severe weather recently? Weather can be a huge factor in whether it’s time for a new roof- especially in Florida. Even if there hasn’t been a severe weather event recently, the scorching sun and severe winds of our summers can take a toll on your roof. Beyond that, storms, such as hail or a hurricane, can dramatically shorten the expected lifespan of your roof.
- Is the roof leaking on a large scale? While small roof leaks can potentially be addressed with a roof repair, an aging roof that is experiencing a leak on a larger scale, is typically a candidate for a roof replacement.
For example, if your shingle roof is more than 15 years old and leaking, it’s probably time to schedule a roof replacement consultation. Ultimately, a trained roofing contractor should conduct a thorough inspection to determine for sure. However, understanding these particular criteria will help you better understand the current state of your roof.
2. What are the benefits of a new roof?
If your home currently has an active leak, the most obvious benefit of a roof replacement is that it will keep water on the outside of your home. However, there are several benefits of replacing your roof.
- It’s a good investment. A new roof can increase the property value of your home and make it much easier to sell. Therefore, the cost of replacing your roof will eventually be returned to you in resale value.
- It increases the curb appeal of your home. A deteriorated roof with chipped, worn, or missing shingles is an unattractive eyesore. When replacing a roof, you can wipe the slate clean and give your home an updated look. Giving your home’s exterior a makeover will increase its curb appeal and make it stand out.
- It can help your home become more cost and energy-efficient. New roofing not only adds value to your home but can also save you money by decreasing your monthly utility bills. An old roof is likely leaking cool air, forcing your AC to work overtime to cool your home. A fortified, energy-efficient, insulated roof can help stabilize the temperatures inside against the elements.
- It improves the health and safety of your home. A dilapidated roof can present a bevy of health hazards. Moisture in the cracks can cause mold and mildew to grow, which can cause serious health issues to your home’s occupants. Ensure your family’s safety by replacing your roof with one that can withstand the elements.
3. What should you ask contractors when getting roofing estimates?
You’ve decided it’s time for a roof replacement and has started contacting roofing companies. When deciding on a roofing contractor, it’s essential to ask the right questions during your consultation. Here are the top ten questions worth considering:
- Are they properly licensed and insured?
- What additional certifications or guarantees do they offer?
- What services do they offer?
- How long have they been in business?
- How many roofing projects have been completed to date?
- Are they truly local? Do they understand the roofing needs of the homeowners in your area?
- What is their policy regarding the safety of their roofers?
- What financing and warranty options do they offer?
- Do they have relationships with any local new construction home builders?
- What is their approach to roofing?
Exploring these questions will provide you a well-rounded perspective of the contractor who will be replacing your roof. While price is an important factor, it shouldn’t be the only determining criterion. It’s important to understand who is replacing your roof and their approach to roofing, not just how much you will be paying for it.
4. What is the process for getting a new roof?
Once you’ve decided it is time to replace your roof, chances are, you want to know what to expect. While each process may differ from roofer to roofer, Roof Commander has outlined our process in ten easy steps. You can read about the process in our “What to Expect When Getting a New Roof” blog post.
5. I have a new roof. Now what?
Similar to the actual reroof process, the “now what” step of the process can differ by the contractor. For our Roof Commander customers, once a new roof is complete and has passed all necessary county and city inspections, we will file the warranty paperwork on your behalf. In addition to the manufacturer’s material warranty, you will also receive a Roof Commander workmanship warranty. However, warranties are just the beginning.
Our Roof Commander customers will also receive a three-year enrollment into the Roof Commander RoofPledge Protection Plan at no additional cost! What is the RoofPledge Protection Plan? It is our way of providing you additional protection for the investment you just made into your home. The RoofPledge Protection Plan includes:
- Annual 17-point inspection
- Annual debris removal
- Priority scheduling in the event of a severe weather event
- So much more!
At Roof Commander, it’s important for us to become your roofing partner – not just the company that installed your new roof. We offer a full complement of roofing services to help you maximize your roof’s full potential at any point during its life cycle. As part of the Roof Commander family, you will never be left to wonder “what’s next?”
Roofing Made Simple
There is no secret that getting your roof replaced is no small task. However, with the right information, and a full-service roofing partner by your side, it can be a lot simpler than it seems. Roof Commander is ready to help you start the process with a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our highly trained estimators. Give us a call today at 352-459-7599 or send us a message!