Roof coatings are substances that can be applied to protect your roof from severe weather, extend its lifespan, and help your building maintain proper temperatures. Since many coatings you can use are flexible, the expanding and contracting that your roof may experience from extreme weather will not cause damage. It is important to note that, while materials such as asphalt can be used in the construction of residential shingles, typically, these coatings are more commonly used for commercial roofing systems.
The most popular types of roof coatings include:
- Bitumen – Bitumen is quite versatile and is the least expensive roof coating material. Because of its adaptability, it works well with a wide variety of roofing materials. It can also be used with solvents or water.
- Silicone – As the most common yet most expensive coating material, silicone is ideal for buildings that experience heavy rainfall and a lot of moisture. Silicone also effectively blocks UV rays, keeping the interior of the building nice and cool.
- Asphalt – Works well in conjunction with bitumen or other asphalt-based roofs. Asphalt can also block UV rays and protect roofs well against inclement weather. This material comes in both black emulsions or aluminized, so you can customize the look of your roof.
- Polyurethane – If you live in an area prone to hail or have a roof that experiences lots of foot traffic, this material may work best for you because of its high abrasion resistance. Polyurethane coatings come in two forms: aliphatic or aromatic. For higher UV ray reflection, aliphatic is the way to go.
- Acrylic – This material is perfect for high UV locations where a reflective roof is desired. Acrylic comes in both solvent and water-based forms, and should be chosen based on substrate, type of roof, and temperature fluctuations in the surrounding environment.
Make Your Roof Last
Heat and dangerous UV rays can wear your roof down and even shorten the life of your roofing materials. When roof coatings are used to provide extra protection from the harsh elements, your roof will be resistant against inclement weather, heat, UV rays, and will even help you save money on energy costs. If you aren’t quite sure what type of roof coating material is best for your roof, the professionals at Roof Commander would love to help. For expert advice and a free estimate, give us a call at 386-259-6274.