To ensure water runoff is properly drained away from your roof and your home, it is important that you regularly clean and maintain your gutters so they are free of debris. Whereas healthy gutters can significantly protect your home from devastating water damage, a clogged gutter will restrict water flow and create opportunities for contamination and extensive structural damage to your roofing system and home. We’ve complied some of the consequences that can result from unhealthy gutters (as well as some benefits to maintaining healthy gutters).
Damage Caused by Unhealthy Gutters
A clogged gutter may not seem like “such a big deal,” but that is, in fact, a huge misconception. A gutter clogged with leaves, sticks and other debris can lead to a myriad of issues. These issues can cause severe, costly damage to your roof and your home. Some of these issues are:
- Mold and rot – damp gutter debris can lead to wood rot and toxic mold and mildew growth.
- Saggy roofing – pools of water will cause roofing materials to absorb moisture, soften, and sag.
- Soil erosion – Excessive overflow from clogged gutters kills grass, erodes soil, and causes unattractive mud, dirt, and sand splashing against the exterior walls of your home.
- Water leaks – Improper runoff due to gutter clog can seep into interior walls and cause leaks.
- Weakened foundations – constant water flow towards the home’s foundations can crack sidewalks, driveways, and walkways.
- Insect breeding – stagnant gutter water makes a nice breeding ground for pests like mosquitoes.
- Animal infestations – rodents such as squirrels, rats, and mice use debris-filled gutters for temporary shelter.
Benefits of a Healthy Gutter
As previously mentioned, there are several consequences to unhealthy, clogged gutters. Conversely, homeowners who regularly clean their home’s gutters will see positive outcomes such as:
- Reduced chances of water damage
- Dry roofing material
- Extended roof life
- Increased health from decreased mold risk
- Fewer pests around house
- Attractive home exterior
- Increased home curb appeal
- Significant cost savings, overtime
Gutter Cleaning Frequency
To promote consistently smooth water flow, professionals recommend that gutters be cleaned twice a year: once in the spring, and again in the fall. A healthy gutter should also be made of sturdy, quality material that can withstand severe weather. To ensure your gutters stay healthy, secure, and free of flow-restricting debris year-round, installing gutter screens over your gutters can reduce debris, clogging, and the need to frequently clean your gutters.
Expert Gutter Services
At Roof Commander, our team offers homeowners our RoofPledge Protection Plan. Our RoofPledge Protection Plan is a one-of-a-kind maintenance program that includes priority scheduling, annual roof inspection, annual gutter cleaning (up to 150ft) along with several other features designed to provide homeowners peace of mind- and clean gutters! If the idea of dragging out the ladder, and manually cleaning out your gutters doesn’t sound appealing, the RoofPledge Protection Plan may be a great option.