To ensure water runoff is properly directed away from your home, it is important that you regularly clean and maintain your gutters. Whereas a healthy gutter can significantly protect your home from devastating water damage, a clogged gutter will restrict water flow and create opportunities for contamination and extensive structural damage.
Damage Caused by Unhealthy Gutters
A gutter clogged with leaves, sticks and other debris can lead to:
- Mold and rot – damp gutter debris can lead to wood rot and toxic mold and mildew growth.
- Saggy roofing – pools of water will cause roofing materials to absorb moisture, soften, and sag.
- Soil erosion – Excessive overflow from clogged gutters kills grass, erodes soil, and causes unattractive mud, dirt, and sand splashing against the exterior walls of your home.
- Water leaks – Improper runoff due to gutter clog can seep into interior walls and cause leaks.
- Weakened foundations – constant water flow towards the home’s foundations can crack sidewalks, driveways, and walkways.
- Insect breeding – stagnant gutter water makes a nice breeding ground for pests like mosquitoes.
- Animal infestations – rodents such as squirrels, rats, and mice use debris-filled gutters for temporary shelter.
Benefits of a Healthy Gutter
Homeowners who regularly clean their gutters enjoy:
- Reduced chances of water damage
- Dry roofing material
- Extended roof life
- Increased health from decreased mold risk
- Fewer pests around house
- Attractive home exterior
- Increased home curb appeal
- Significant cost savings, overtime
Gutter Cleaning Frequency
To promote consistently smooth water flow, professionals recommend that gutters be cleaned twice a year: once in the Spring, and again in the Fall. A healthy gutter should also be made of sturdy, quality material that can withstand severe weather. To ensure your gutters stay healthy, secure, and free of flow-restricting debris year-round, contact the roofing professionals at Roof Commander.
Expert Gutter Services
At Roof Commander, our team will provide you with expert gutter installation, repair, and maintenance. Call us today at 352-459-7599 to get a quote and ensure that your gutters, roof, and home stay healthy.